Tuesday, July 1, 2008

With Feet Firmly On The Ground


As of last week, I no longer work for the airline industry. It was beginning to wear me down and out. 4 days out and only getting 24 hours of pay to show for it, hardly justified the time away from home. I felt fickle for having done it, but I resigned none the less, and aggressively pursued other jobs.
For now, I am once again a stay at home mom and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner either. Sometimes in life, things will happen so that you look back and say, "You know what? I had it good, what was I thinking?" Never again, will I refer to myself as a "house mouse" like it is some sort of affliction.
YET, I still had to pursue a job, there are still debts to be paid. So, what to do? My first love will always be to Art and I was desperate to find something that I could do with my degree. NOT AN EASY THING TO DO! I used every search engine, job service, website, etc probably known to man and could not come up with anything, especially in the textile field. I have a bit of web designing under my belt, but even that is rusty and my portfolio is...old. I haven't really kept up a portfolio in 10 years or more because I have not had time to really devote to my art. I was/am raising 4 children and they were/are the priority.
I scoured the papers and library computer constantly. I had some interviews, pretty much have the job and they would call and tell me, "We were really wanting to hire you, your interview was fabulous, but we just got word from another dept. we have someone transferring in to fill that position." Happened to me TWICE! Every time, I would be absolutely devastated.
Then it happened, I picked up a local paper and found an obscure little ad, looking for art teachers. I use to teach years ago for a nearby local city school district and I had my degree in art. Maybe, just maybe, it will be what I am looking for. Long story short, I did get the job, then didn't have the job because the positions were all filled (remember earlier? same thing happened again), then when I was beginning to give up hope, I got the job again and it was an even closer location! So, starting July 28, I will be an Art Instructor. It will be wonderful to work Mon-Fri, be home around 4:30, have my weekends free, and all government holidays.
In the meantime, I am trying to get my house in order, enjoy my time home with the kids and embrace what I have learned from being a Flight Attendant. My only regret about my FA job, was that I had put so much into it to get so little back out of it. Just another one of those life lessons.
Thought for today? Behind every cloud...there is probably a flight attendant working their tails off for little to nothing, so treat them nice.
kat

2 comments:

Lish said...

So... where will you be working?

kat said...

I will be the new art teacher for Southaven Intermediate.