Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Another Chapter




These were my first attempts for a good soap label...I eventually morphed into something totally different, but looking at them now, they were "me". I now find them more whimsical and somehow, a little more magical. *notice the coffee stain?


A few years ago, I made and sold natural goats milk and oatmeal soap, as well as other bath and body products. It was out of necessity that I embarked on that adventure. Tori (my oldest daughter) had eczema pretty badly and everything over the counter made it worse. We were raising dairy goats at the time and I had just read an article by a woman who had 2 small girls with the same skin problems and allergies as Tori. There was a recipe (which I tweaked) and I thought, I can do this. After the first week with the new soap I had made, Tori's eczema healed and vanished and we never looked back. Turned out, A LOT of people suffered with skin problems and my ugly bars of soap were helping them get better!


I started selling the bars of soap and adding essential oils to them. I had a wide variety of soaps and fragrances that I probably could have kept going with, but my husband was growing weary of my being gone every weekend at Farmer's Market or craft fairs and I was getting tired of showing up and finding a dozen other soap makers there as well. (I was a bit of a purest and it bothered me that some of the vendors were selling melt and pour soaps) That is another discussion that I won't venture into.


Anyway, we were slated for a trip to New Mexico one summer, so I sold all of my soaps and lotions at buy 1, get 1 free, prices and walked out of the soap business. I still make soap for the family and have tons of essential oils and supplies, but I don't/won't sell it anymore. If I did, I would totally go back to these "grassroot" labels.
Time to get dinner going.
My thought for the day? Soap does get in your eyes.
kat

No comments: