Saturday, July 5, 2008

Old Is New Again




Yup! More "Brown Bag Specials" designs. I had a whole mess of designs created for this line, and truth be known, I could completely go back to this and run like crazy with it.





When I started Art College, my original intent was to go into Graphic Design. I quickly discovered that I was just not very "quick" at coming up with really snappy concepts. My first love had always been fibers. After a year and a half I changed majors and played "catch up" for my Fibers degree.





I love color (I aced color theory) and patterns. So, I am drawn to fabrics, and dyed yarns and design plates. A lot of the early sketches and designs were primarily for fabrics, then something happened. I found out that Hallmark Greetings were hiring surface designers to create gift wrap and bags for the company. That changed how I looked at my designs. I love all the little accessories that go along, bows, tags, the extras. I had ideas for those too.





I got away from working on that, when I found out I was pregnant with my first son. My priorities completely became focused on the new life within and I obsessed over him and he became my world.





As I look back on these designs now, I am amazed at how ahead of my time I was. Realistically, people were talking recycling and reusing, but this next generation are really more conscious of it. You go in the stores and can by organic and recycled anything, just about. So, my Brown Bag Specials would fit right in. I may have to give my concepts another try and actually market them.
Maybe, I will research some firms that might take a look at them and give me feedback. I am working on copyrights now.

I still haven't given up on my beautiful seashell. I just don't have the resources to implement it right now. I have my colored pencils and some design markers and that is about it. Hopefully, I should be slowly getting more of my supplies together as I begin my teaching job.

Well, it's Saturday and I need to get something done around here.

My thought for today? Old is new again.

kat

No comments: