Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Aimer dans les nuages





Love in the skies.....ahhhhhhh



Who says you have to go to gay Paris' to find love & romance? (say that in your best Maurice Chevalier accent- think "Gigi" here)


Love happens in the air everyday on aircrafts. I am not talking the mile high club either. (given the fact, that the lavatories on the planes I fly are smaller than most broom closets, it would be nothing short of a miracle)


No, I am talking about holding hands when the couple has been seperated to having the aisle seats and we just are not able to move them or they are on their way home from a vacation in Brazil and she is nestled in his shoulder, stealing kisses in between snoozing. Funny thing is, nine times out of ten, it is older couples, mostly in their 50's that are the romantic ones.


Oh sure, we get some young couples that are really touchy, feely, kissing up a storm...but that is more of a passionate nature. I am talking about a love or romance that has stood the test of time.


One couple on one of my flights had their grandchildren seated with them. So they were seated 2 x 2, grandpa with one child and directly in the row behind them grandma and the other child. Both grandparents were in the aisle seats so their grandchildren could be by the window. Upon taking off, the husband reached his hand behind the seat and the wife took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. He let go and looked back at her with a tender smile. It was a small thing, but touching none the less.

One of the cutest couples I had, was a couple of weeks ago. It was obvious that the wife was sitting next to her elderly father and her husband was directly across in an aisle seat. I was doing my beverage service and asked what he would like to drink. He said he would like a "Pepsi please" and she clarified by saying "A diet Pepsi", well, I thought she was telling me she wanted a diet pepsi, but she shook her head no, pointed at the man across the aisle and said, "HE wants a diet Pepsi."I got it and apologized as I poured his drink. He winked at me and said, "I don't know WHO THAT woman is but she has been following me around ALL weekend long, telling me what to eat and what to drink." She quickly peered around me and said, "You better hush mister or I'll complain to this nice woman and have you put off the plane." The whole time they were grinning from ear to ear at each other.


I quickly moved on to finish my service, but on my way back I smiled and asked, "Mam, is this man still pestering you?" She looked at him for a minute and said, "You know, he is pretty adorable now that I have a good look at him. Nah, I think I might take him on home with me." He burst out laughing and said he was "ok with that." It made my whole day and every time I would think about those two, I would smile and get tickled.


These little displays of affection somehow comfort me and make my day brighter. Maybe it's because my husband and I have been married for 20 years now, this year. We often talk about growing old together and not losing our affection for each other. We don't want to be one of those couples that hangs in there long enough for the kids to move out and then decide to divorce. We try and make time for date nights and special times together, although with this job, it is becoming more and more difficult. I think a lot of couples can relate to that. Life gets in the way and we lose touch with each other, so when we are able to see older couples still have tender moments, it gives the rest of us hope.


So, when our hearts begin to wain just a bit, maybe we should book a flight somewhere, anywhere and redécouvrir l'amour quelque part dans les nuages.


au revoir de votre steward amical,

Kat








1 comment:

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hey Kat,
I enjoyed your story of the romance seen between the older couples...well, I'll turn 50 on July 2nd and my Thomas is 61..You described us..heehee...romance is a wonderful thing and we are both hopeless romantics.