Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Behind Closed Doors

One of the "perks" of being an FA, is that when you travel out of town, the company puts you up for the night. Usually, it's pretty reasonable digs, but they aren't always as they seem.

Like in Des Moines, pretty, pretty hotel. Comfortable beds, clean room, nice hot showers and thin walls. I come in so dead, dog tired, when I get into the hotel, all I want to do is pass out and sleep. But darn it! The walls are thin and you can hear everything!

The first time I was there, a "par-tay" was going on next door. Laughing, loud music...until 12:30 @ night (did I mention I had to get up @ 4:30 am?) Finally after a call in to complain, I heard managment pound on their door and all was quiet. That is, until the next morning, bright and early around 4:00 a.m.! Yeah, whoever had tied one on the night before, was now singing praises to the porcelain god! I could hear it as well as if they had been in MY BATHROOM! I am not too sure, but there might have been 2 people tag teaming the comode over there. I started feeling pretty nauseous myself, got up, stumbled to the bathroom, said loudly, "I hope ya'll can hear me! Serves you right for keeping me up 1/2 the night! I hope you puke your guts out!" Turned the shower on and figured I best get ready for the day.

I was dead on my feet the whole next day. When I got home that next night, I threw my luggage and clothes in the corner, collapsed in the bed and slept for hours. My poor family really needed and wanted to spend time with me, but I just couldn't function.

Since then I have been in different rooms, in the same hotel. I figured the first time was a fluke, you know, new enviroment, strange bed, etc. But, alas, you can hear the next room's TV, or person talking on their cell phone. (not the details mind you, but more of a wah, wah, wah, sound like a Charlie Brown cartoon.)

I have conquered this finally, by wearing ear plugs. The soft foamy kind.(although now I wake up every hour to make sure I don't over sleep) I set the alarm in the hotel room, request wake up call AND set my cell phone alarm, but I have this deep seeded fear, that I won't hear them and won't wake up....so far, so good.

Other hotels, are just noisy, because of traffic, trains, that kind of thing. Some are just kind of ... creepy. I dunno, the people in the hotel look kind of, questionable.

Well, I am home now and have been sleeping so hard, I have pillow marks in my face and drool on my pillow... nice visual huh?

There is a lot to be said for a good night's sleep and I won't take that for granted, ever again. It doesn't hurt to pack your ear plugs either.

Rest Well!

kat


No comments: